Thursday 20 September 2012

Walk like an Egyptian!

Now I've got everyone over the age of 30 (at least in the UK) humming that song, I'll let you sing away while I tell you that this week's challenge, no 85,  at Less is More is a theme, and the theme is Oval. The task is to incorporate an oval somewhere into the design.

We tend to associate Egyptian images with pyramids, so I thought I'd be my usual awkward self and use an oval instead. I stamped my trusty old King Tut stamp on a black oval and embossed it in gold, with a hieroglyph border stamps acrosss the middle of the background card. Here's the finished result. There is a very narrow gold border around the oval that really hasn't come out well in the photo, which is a pity as it ties the whole card together.


As I have done in the past, I am also going to share "the one that got away". This time it isn't really a failure, just one that has come out a little bit TOO clean and simple and is hovering on the boder of boring. I'm going to set it aside to incorporate the image into a future card, because I don't think there's enough substance to it to work as a stand-alone card.

I  cut an oval from scrap card and used the waste as a stencil, sponging sea and sunset colours in to create the background, then overstamped it with the palm tree silhouette. I'd love some suggestions on how I can turn it from a rather bland image-on-a-card to something more exciting - maybe attach some tiny seashells? Or scrunch it all up and start again?

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Fantastic card, perfect inking, what an idyllic scene
Thanks very much
Mandi LIM

Linby said...

Great cards, I really like the second one, so effective.
right off out to look for PG Tips ;)
Lynn x