Thursday 9 May 2013

Butternut gnocchi with brown butter and sage

When I opened the free booklet that came with the June issue of Olive magazine, it contained the kind of recipe that screams to me "Get into the kitchen and start cooking NOW!"  - Butternut Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Sage. Quick check of the ingredients - yep, all present and correct - so I launched straight in.

The recipe, which is available on the BBC Good Food Website,  is meant to serve 6, so I halved it, since dividing it into three was impracticable, and instead of the 1½ small egg yolks that this led to, I used one large one, but apart from that I changed nothing.

Being a terribly messy cook, I was very proud of how the uncooked gnocchi turned out


As for the finished result, lovely light, delicious gnocchi in a tangy, lemony butter with a hint of sage - delicious. I'd planned for the "third person's portion" to be saved for my lunch the next day.... but between us we managed to polish almost the whole lot off!


because this is a very economical way to make something that really tastes very special - a real show-off  dish for around £1 a head - I'm joining in with Credit Crunch Munch with Farmersgirl KitchenFuss Free Flavours ,  and Fab Food 4 All  and I've put the linky at the bottom so you can see the other cheap but delicious dishes taking part this month.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That dish looks and sounds delicious Jane! You and Mark eat really adventurous stuff and your ideas about food and cooking are very creative :) Btw I can't see broccolie (sp) on a plate without thinking of Mark (his love of this particular veg has totally imprinted onto my brain now)!

Janice said...

What a great recipe, Jane. I adore butternut squash, so I think I may have to bookmark this recipe!

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Jane, Butternut gnocchi sounds scrumptious. I am going to pop over to visit the site after I have spoken to you. It is lovely to be inspired with new recipes. I love gnocchi, so this will be on a future menu.....well before butternut squash is out of season!
It is lovely to have found you, and I have enjoyed reading your blog, so I have become a new follower.
I look forward to reading future posts.
I would like to invite you over to Ivy, Phyllis and Me! when you have the time to visit.
Best wishes
Daphne