Sunday 12 April 2015

Splattering - my first attempt

This week it's a one layer challenge at Less is More and the theme is Splatters. This really had me stumped - I don't have any really splattery inks, or any stamps or stencils that look at all splattery. And my Blitzer broke years ago, and I never bothered to replace it as it never really earned its keep. Then I remembered something I used to do as a child, dabbing paint on a toothbrush then pulling a piece of stout card over the bristles to splatter the paint.

I have several spare toothbrushes - you know, the ones they give you on long haul flights, the kind that aren't good enough to use except in an emergency and yet look too good to throw away. So I unearthed one and had a play. The splattering produced is a very fine spray, and of course is denser close to the brush, so I tried concentrating my splatters in one corner of the card.

Here's my first attempt - I think I'm almost there with the splattering effect but haven't properly worked out what to do with it once it's splattered! I'll carry on playing with it and hopefully come back later in the week with something more creative.

6 comments:

Sazzle Dazzle said...

I think your childhood trick has worked a treat here Jane ... never heard of that one myself but think I'll give it a go.
Thanks for the technique and for playing along at less is more this week. Sarah x

Sarn said...

Sounds like a fun way to add splats to your card. Love the effect you've created here. xxx

Anja said...

What a great trick to use a toothbrush! Wonderful card.

Liz said...

Great splattering! I remember doing that technique with the toothbrush as a child - it was such fun! I was trying to think how I could do a bit of splattering for the Less is More Challlenge. Might give this a try. xx

Chrissie said...

This is such a bright idea Jane, your splattering is super and your ingenuity impressive!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Anne said...

Fab splattering Jane, it has made a super card!
Thank you for joining us at LIM
Anne
Less is More