Wednesday 10 February 2016

Chest of drawers card - tutorial

Actually, this isn't so much a chest of drawers as a copy of a piece of furniture my Mum has in her bedroom - she calls it a linen press but I don't know whether that's the official name. It has a cupboard on top and two drawers down below, which I have replicated here.

 
and for anybody visiting from Make My Monday and wondering where the arrow is, inside the door is a sentiment, complete with arrow!

 
I've added a piece of white card to the inside to write the greeting on.


This was actually very easy to make. I started with an A4 sheet of Kraft which I folded and cut to make two A6 sized tent cards and set one aside for another time. Then I cut the folded card at each side, 5 mm from the edge, from the fold down to 2 cm from the bottom edge, and then at a 45 degree angle out to the edge. Then choose a label die that fits most of the way across the bottom of the card, hold it on place with low-tack tape (or bits cut off a sticky note!) and die cut through both layers of the bottom to create the "legs". You could just do this by cutting straight lines but I like the effect a label die creates, and you can ring the changes by using different ones.

Now put the folded card through a woodgrain embossing folder, positioning the folder so that the grain runs vertically and the bottom 2 cm remains unembossed. Because kraft card can be quite thick and it is double thickness, I use a thinner plate in the sandwich than my usual embossing one. I've already killed one Grand Calibur, I can't afford to make a habit of it!

To make the drawers, cut two pieces of kraft  9 cm x 3 cm each, and emboss them with the grain running horizontally. For the cupboard, cut a piece 18 cm x 5 cm and score at 4.5 cm from each end, to form the doors, then emboss each end panel separately, again with the grain running horizontally.

Lightly ink the edges of the drawer and cupboard pieces and attach to the card. Cut a piece of white card 4.5 cm x 8.5 cm, stamp your chosen sentiment on it and stick it inside the cupboard. Also cut a piece of white card to fit inside the card to write on when sending it - the embossed surface would be too difficult to write on!

Add gems or pearls for knobs - I used brass effect ones from my stash.

If you are making the card for a specific occasion, you could fill the cupboard with stamped or decoupaged images suitable for the occasion, and arrange bits peeping out of the drawers too, but I've kept this as a generic birthday card.

Right, I'm going to share this with a few challenges:

Make My Monday - Arrows
Use Your Stuff - Use an embossing folder
House of Cards - Shaped cards 
Shopping Our Stash - bent out of shape  



21 comments:

Glittered Paws said...

Oh how pretty and very original - I have seen step cards with a chest of drawers but this is totally amazing. Glad you included the tutorial. Thanks for joining us at HOC challenge this month. Shirley HOC DT

Kate said...

Wow what a brilliant idea. TFS

Donna said...

Ohhhhhh Jane this is awesome!!! Love it!!! Thanks so much for playing along with the SHOPPING OUR STASH crew for our "Bent Out of Shape" challenge this week!!

cotnob said...

A fabulous card Jane, a brilliant design and great texture.
Pauline
x

Barb said...

What an amazing card Jane. I really like the woodgrain embossing effect. Thanks for giving details I'm certainly going to give this a go. Barbxx

Toni said...

How very clever of you! I actually thought it was a mini dresser when I first saw the pic--yes, that real looking! so very glad you shared this

Toni
HOC DT

Mynn xx said...

This is such a unique card! I LOVE the fabulous texture you added--this is amazing! Thank you for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Oh You Made Me Ink said...

So Clever! I love your card!

Donna said...

This is adorable, like how you used the wood grain and the drawer opens up with a message. Glad you joined us at House of Cards. Donna DT

Liz said...

Really clever design. I love it! xx

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Make My Monday, good luck!!! Amy DT

Shawna said...

This is absolutely remarkable. Your use of an arrow directs you right to the sentiment. Good thing because your chest of drawers is so well done using a nontraditional shape for a card. Perfect for the House of Cards challenge!! I just hope there isn't an underwear drawer... heheee. Thank you so much for joining us at MMM and HOC..
CYBER HUGS
Shawna DT

Shawna said...

This is absolutely remarkable. Your use of an arrow directs you right to the sentiment. Good thing because your chest of drawers is so well done using a nontraditional shape for a card. Perfect for the House of Cards challenge!! I just hope there isn't an underwear drawer... heheee. Thank you so much for joining us at MMM and HOC..
CYBER HUGS
Shawna DT

Marina said...

How fabulous! Thank you for joining us at Make My Monday. Marina DT

Majo said...

Such a beautiful creation, love it! Thanks so much for joining our challenge at *USE YOUR STUFF* ♥
Majo - DT

Susanne Vargas said...

Have to pin this! Love it!

Chris Dring said...

This card is too stinkin' adorable! I love it! Thanks for joining in the fun at Shopping Our Stash!

lauren bergold said...

holy WOW! that is a GREAT CARD on absolutely any level, but YOWZA many bonus points for just winging the engineering... you've captured every detail of a linen press to perfection! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR (shaped!) STASH with us this week! ♥♥♥

Papercrafting Princess said...

Totally cute!

Karen Petitt said...

Not only is it very cute it's also very inspired too! Thank you for joining the House of Cards Challenge February theme of Shaped Cards. Thank you for entering and I hope we see you enter again in March Karen P (HOC DT)

Unknown said...

WOW! What an AWESOME card! Love everything about it! Thank you for joining our February Shaped Cards Challenge at the House of Cards. Ruza, HOC-Designer
Ruza's Craft Corner