Sunday 13 March 2016

Lots of cogs

This weekend I treated myself to a set of dies I've been promising myself for ages - I reckoned I deserved a treat after my long drive to and from Mum's house and several enforced craft free days while I was there. (Oh, what happened to my New Year spending ban? It didn't even last a week!!!) The set in question is X-cut 9 piece Cogs - I'm going to find it really useful for masculine and steampunk style cards.

For the first outing of the dies, I covered one side of a piece of kraft card with a sheet of double sided adhesive, leaving the other side of the adhesive in place, then die cut all the cogs with the die facing the adhesive covered side of the card. I didn't emboss them, as I wanted to keep the surface fairly smooth for foiling.

Then I removed the backing (fronting, by now) sheet from the adhesive and rubbed each cog with a scrap of metallic foil from Foilplay. I've got lots of part-used sheets and these cogs were great for using up odd corners of the sheets. However because the sheets were already part used, I knew that the cogs would not get 100% covered in foil, and also the edges where the die had been cut would be tricky to get the foil into because of the intricate shapes, so there would be a minuscule line of exposed adhesive around each edge. Normally I would move the die cut to another area of the sheet and rub again to cover the missing areas, and use a fine embossing tool to get into the nooks and crannies, but this time I used the uncovered part of the adhesive to get a different effect - once all the cogs were foiled, I sprinkled them all with green holographic ultra fine glitter and then brushed it off with a soft brush. The glitter only clings to the unfoiled areas and gives an interesting verdigris or corroded effect, perfect for a piece of rusty old machinery.

Then I made my base card from stone coloured cardstock, with inked edges and some stamped cogs, keys and pocket watches. The textured panel to hold the cogs is a snippet from a DCWV textured paper stack - it's actually a snippet left over from a DT card that you won't be seeing on here for a couple of weeks, so it's an interesting piece of time reversal, as it looks as if I've used the leftovers before I used the main part! The dragonfly and ticket are made from snippets, with the ticket stamped using a Studio G mini set, and then - here comes the snark - the ticket sentiment, "over the hill" is stamped  in several places on the card, along with alternative ticket sentiments, "no spring chicken" and "any gray yet?". Now you know why I wanted my cogs to look rusty.


I am sharing this with

Pixies Snippets Playground - week 220
Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers - G is for Gears

and thanks to Sandma's suggestion, I'm also joining in with Industrial at Country View Challenges, a challenge which is completely new to me

13 comments:

Kath said...

A fabulous card and a wonderful effect on the cogs - perfect!
Kath x

Di said...

Wow Jane - i love this!! Beyond my capabilities and patience but you've done a fabulous job!

Hugs

Di xx

Foil Play said...

Love it Jane! I do think that using die double sided adhesive film is one of the easiest ways to foil, very clever adding the glitter to produce the verdigris effect too.

Barb said...

Your card looks fantastic Jane. I really like what you've done with the cogs and of cause you deserved a treat. You'll certainly get lots of use from them. The background is great. Barbxx

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

Those gears are fabulous. You make me want to pick up some foil and green glitter! Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for our "G is for Gears" challenge.

Sarn said...

Great looking cog card . . . you must have a lot of patience! Thanks for sharing how you made it.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Donna said...

Gorgeous card! I adore the gears and that dragonfly!! He he he and the very subtle snark in the sentiments are perfect! Thanks for joining the sisterhood of snarky stampers for G is for Gears!

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

This is fabulous Jane and those Cogs will be so useful in future Steampunk challenges. You might want to take a look at Country View Challenges as their theme this month is Industrial. I think you've done a great job here and the layout is just perfect. X

Monika Reeck said...

Oh I have to buy that DIES COGS
it really great for manly card
you did it the best Manly card Jane
love love love this
so perfect for man!!

Lindsey said...

Possibly my favourite thing about this card is the teeny tiny sentiments. But the entire card is awesome! Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Sue said...

Haha this is fab Jane, great industrial feel, and those comments are brilliant! Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts, and enjoy your weekend. Sue xx

Chris Dring said...

Those gears look amazing, as does your entire card! (Loving the bitty sentiments, especially 'Any gray yet'!! LOL! Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers! (Been out of town, and am trying to catch up on commenting!)

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

Wonderful card. Great job. Thanks for gearing it up with the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers.