Monday 13 March 2017

A box for a change

I've really stepped out of my comfort zone today - I've made a box rather than a card, and used a couple of mixed media techniques on it!


The box is a little undecorated card one, the kind you can pick up in The Range and similar places. I painted it with dark blue acrylic paint all over inside and our, and then applied Kroma Crackle to all the outside surfaces except the flat base.

When that was dry and well-crackled (you really have to wait, don't you? I think I'm too inpatient, I like to see immediate results!) I sponged silver ink around all the edges and a little randomly over the crackled surfaces, sprinkled with silver embossing powder and heated it.

Then I decorated the lid, adding ribbon around the edge, a circle of tinsel style braid around the top, a "star" of ribbon loops centred with a large crystal snowflake and some matching gems in the corners.


I'll use this as a gift box at Christmas - it would be perfect to hold a small piece of jewellery.


I am sharing this with
Shopping our Stash- Crackle effect
Winter Wonderland - Use Ribbon or Lace
Christmas Cards All Year Round - Anything But a Card

14 comments:

Margarets designer cards said...

Lovely box, prefect for Christmas and a gift for Christmas , well done

Chris Dring said...

OMGee! Jane! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! You REALLY need to step out of your comfort zone more often, because if this is what the end result is, then YES please do! And now I want to case this. Also, thank you for being brave enough to enter our crackle challenge at Shopping Our Stash!

Barbara Godden said...

Awesome crackled box, Beautiful job on the the technique and a beautiful topper for it. Thanks for entering the challenge at Shopping Our Stash for the challenge.

Barb said...

Wow Jane your box looks fantastic and I love the colours. I've had crackle paint on the shelf for ages and never used it. Your box will make a Christmas gift very special. Barbxx

Donna said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sistah this is soooooooo beautiful!!!
Thanks for getting all crackly with us at SHOPPING OUR STASH!

Mrs A. said...

This is so pretty. A cracking box. I love the colour and all the sparkle. Hugs Mrs A.

Mimi said...

Well, it sure doesn't look like you are out of your comfort zone-- looks like your wheelhouse! This is just fantastic... that tinsel "halo" is sooooo xmas, and the silver heat-embossing is genius. By the way, the crackling you achieved is wonderful... worth waiting for, right? Thank you for sharing at SOS... even if we had 50 entries, you'd win!

lauren bergold said...

oh wow! i would never guess you were out of your comfort zone! you've done an amazing job! love this to bits! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR STASH with us this week! <3

Wynn said...

Love this Jane. I altered lots of those little boxes....my customers love them. Like the crackle effect.....might give this go when I do my next one. Hugs Wynn xxx

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at CCAYR, good luck!!! Amy DT

Kath said...

A fabulous box with lots of great techniques used. Visiting today with my DT hats on, so thank you for joining us at Christmas Cards All Year Round and Winter Wonderland.
Kath x

Oh You Made Me Ink said...

Gorgeous project! I'm so glad you shared it with us at Shopping Our Stash! Cyndi, DT

Helen said...

Beautiful, Jane - love the crackle effect.

Thanks for joining us at Christmas Cards All Year Round.

Helen x

Deanne Saunders said...

So pretty!! Thanks so much for participating in our CHRISTMAS CARDS ALL YEAR 'ROUND challenge. Hope you participate in our next challenge!! Have a happy crafty day!!!
Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper