Sunday 14 October 2012

A rainbow of butterflies

I always find the "One layer" challenges at Less is More particularly, well, challenging. You have no idea just how full my waste paper basket is now with failed designs and abandoned ideas. Or maybe yours is the same?

This week it's Challenge #89, One Layer, with the theme WINGS which is also this month's theme at The Cupboard Trilogy.

First of all I did a Christmas card with an angel design, but it ended up TOO CAS, really just plain boring. so I added a bit of bling and it wasn't CAS any more yet still had something lacking so I did a bit of inking and got a huge smudge in the wrong place..... well. you know the story.

Next I stamped some Chinese characters then embossed a gold dragonfly over them. In  my head, it looked simple and striking. In real life it looked a mess. I've cannibalised the image and will use it on a future card.

Next up, a bit of reverse masking, a butterfly cut out inked through then stamped through. Which would have been fine if I hadn't completely messed up the stamping.

I usually like to share my failures but I'm afraid I lost my temper a bit with these particular ones and all I would be able to share is a photo of an overflowing waste paper basket.

So that was yesterday afternoon wasted. I started again this morning with a butterfly, from a Paper Artsy set, which I stamped in rainbow colours up the side of the card

 
Then I decided it looked insipid, so I filled in some of the outlines on the butterfly design (I really should have chosen a stamp with more solid areas)

Better, but still not quite there, so finally I cut around the edge of the butterflies

At last! A card  I am happy with. I am submitting this to

 
Do you know, when I fill in craft magazine surveys and they ask about your level of skill, I usually tick "intermediate". But when it comes to making things Clean and Simple, especially when you only have one layer and no chance to hide your mistakes, I think I'll always be in the "absolute beginner" category. But it's fun learning!


21 comments:

Claire Toplis said...

What a lovely simple idea

Ustvarjalni utrinki Tamara P. said...

Rainbow butterflyes, cute card.
Tamara

Loli said...

Hola Jane,great idea cut around of the butterflies, very original and pretty bright colours.
Hugs from Palma de Mallorca

Linby said...

Lovely Jane. I have to admit I have a couple I that aren't CAS as I had to hide some smudges!
Lynn x

Anonymous said...

Love your card and like how u have shown us all 3 transitions!

Chrissie said...

Wonderful butterflies!
I love the cut-out edge on the last picture.
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Liz said...

I love the finished card and thanks for sharing how you got there. Thanks for joining in the Cupboard Trilogy challenge.

Liz xx [DT]

Zoe said...

Beautiful CAS card, thank you for joining in with The cupboard trilogy challenge, good luck Hun xx Zoe DT xx

Scrapmate said...

I like all the cards you made building up to the final one. It's great to see how the last card evolved.

laurie said...

I love how you did this card...what a super idea!

Anonymous said...

So pretty! The detail at the edges makes the card look so swish! Nice to see butterflies on paper, even if there's been so few around in real life this year :O)

Kat said...

WOW, Jane! I love all three but for different reasons! The final "cut" is brilliant! Thank you for joining The Cupboard Trilogy Challenge this month:)
Kat [DT]

Carole said...

Marvelous. Brilliant, love the cut and the story. I reuse my one layer goof ups by adding a full layer, or cut off the back for other uses. Thanks for your visit and kind comments.

Linda said...

Great butterflies, love the colours and the cut out edge looks fab! xx

Karen Louise said...

What a lovely butterfly card. It's so lovely and cheery! It would be a pleasure to receive. Thank you for entering it into The Cupboard Trilogy Challenge for October.

Karen xx DT xx

Mandi said...

Those vibrant butterflies looks superb!
Thank you very much
mandi
LIM

Aileen said...

Loved reading about your steps leading up to the finished card. Great idea to cut round the edge of your rainbow butterflies. x

Glittertastic said...

What a gorgeous card - you persevered until you got it how you wanted it and ended up with a stunning card!

Sharon
x

Viv said...

Great card and love that buttefly edge too :) Viv xx

FLUV said...

what a simply beautiful card. Good luck in the cupboard trilogy challenge x

Susan Hogan said...

A great card at the end but I loved the steps too - all in taste I know, and you have to get it to how you want it, that "aaahhh" moment. And yes, my rubbish bin is also overflowing at times with 'experiments'!