Thursday 10 January 2013

Tranquility

I didn't set out to make a sympathy card. I normally only make them when they are urgently needed, which means I have a few standard  quick and easy designs up my sleeve ready to create for a grieving friend. I don't like to keep them  in stock "just in case" because it feels as if I'm just waiting for something bad to happen.

And when I  set out to make a card for this week's challenge at Addicted to Stamps, where the theme is  Nature, I didn't set out to use my bare tree and branch stamps. I had something with butterflies and flowers in mind.

But maybe it's the grey miserable weather today, or maybe it's the time of year,  something drew me to these stamps  and  I decided to create a scene from them. And when it was finished, it looked perfect for a sympathy card, stark and yet tranquil at the same time.

I tore paper masks for the hills and reflections, sponging inks over the positive and negative masks and reversing  them and sponging more lightly for the reflection. Another torn mask made the island and I used a brayer for the tree reflection. With hindsight, I have cluttered  the foreground up with rather too many bare branches as the reflection doesn't really show  up.

All the stamps are unmounted ones I have had in my collection for many years, so I'm afraid I can't remember their makes.

 
I am submitting this to the challenge at Addicted to Stamps
and as it was seeing Zoe's beautiful card with the inked background and black silhouettes that put me in the mood to try this, I'm also submitting it to The Cupboard Trilogy 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful card sweetie the image is so serene, thanks for joining us at The Cupboard Trilogy this time, hugs xx Cara xx DT

Zoe said...

Hi Jane, firstly I'd like to thank you for using my card as your inspiration for this fabulous card, I love trees as images for cards and this is superb, I love the colour combo too, good luck Hun, Zoe DT The Cupboard Trilogy xx

Kylie said...

What an amazing scene you have created. It is truly stunning. Thanks so much for playing along at ATSM xx

Lesley said...

Beautiful card Jane! Thanks for taking part in The Cupboard Trilogy challenge xx

Lesley (DT)

Loll said...

You have created a beautiful and peaceful scene. Great work with the torn masks and reflection techniques. Thanks for joining us at ATS&M.

Danielle Vincent said...

This is gorgeous! I'm just the opposite of you on this one - I have decided that I need to keep a few sympathy cards on hand because it seems like lately when I've needed one I don't have time to make one and have to buy one (which seems so impersonal now to me - especially for someone that has come to expect handmade cards from me). I do agree though that I'm not comfortable with feeling like I might need them for someone. Thanks for joining us this week at ATS&M.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card. Fabulous stamping. Really love the style and the reflection of the tree looks amazing. Thank you for playing along with the ATS&M challenge this week.
Regards Florence x

xxbella71xx said...

What a lovely card, Thank you for join us in this months challenge of at The Cupboard Trilogy Challenge Blog

Stella xx

TCT DT