Monday 3 August 2015

Butterfly and Washi tape

I'm really not very good with Washi tape. It doesn't help that until recently I only had a couple of rolls of it. I've now acquired half a dozen more, but I just don't seem to have picked up on the craze for it or been inspired at all. So I'm hoping to visit some of the entries in Mrs A's Butterfly Challenge to get some tips  when I pop over there with this, as the current challenge is Butterflies + Washi Tape.

I thought I'd aim for strongly contrasting colours of pink and navy, but it all looked a bit harsh when I laid it out on the card, so I snuck in a little yellow by layering yellow die cut butterflies underneath the navy die cuts, and finishing them with yellow gems. Incidentally this butterfly is a great example of how the technology that supports us crafters has changed over the years. When I bought this die, some years ago, I was absolutely blown away by the detail and intricacy of it - it seems pretty tame by comparison with some of the dies we can buy today!

Once everything was in place, it still looked a little unfinished, so I took a navy fine pointed marker and doodled dots along the edges of the Washi tape to echo the dots on the tape. I think that pulled everything together.


6 comments:

KT Fit Kitty said...

Your card is beautiful! I like your colour choices and the big butterfly! The dots along your washi tape are a nice touch! I really like your design - it looks like your card could be a gift, with the washi tape as the ribbon and the little flower and gem, the bow - I think it's fabulous! Thank you for joining the Butterfly Challenge!

Mrs A. said...

Oh Jane I just love your doodled dots along the edges of the washi tape. I think that you will be inspiring others with that idea!! Thankyou for fluttering by my butterfly challenge. Hugs Mrs A.

Veerle said...

Hi Jane, thnx for stopping by at my blog anf for your comment. I like your washi tape card. Good thinking on the doodled dots.
I still haven't picked the craze for it but at least now i know what to do with it LOL
Have a nice day, greetings Veerle

MaryH said...

Jane, I'm another washi challenged person, but your border treatment using it - looks fine to my eyes! I think adding the tiny dot patterns along the edge was a great design idea & draws the eye right to the pretty tape. That butterfly is wonderful and I liked the shadow effect of the yellow behind the navy. TFS & great use of the washi. You probably need to get some more now!!! Tee hee.

Veerle said...

Hi Jane, me again. Just red your comment on the butterfly's blog.
So true what you say, after i entered my card there i still wasn't washi convinced but yesterday i took this washi tape to a whole new level and just entered my second card. Now i am washi convinced, this application you can do in so many different ways just have a look and tell me what you think.
Hugs, Veerle

Claire Toplis said...

I think this is an excellent use of the tape