Friday 16 October 2015

Review : Dr Oetker Calzone Speciale

Recently I was sent some vouchers so I could taste and review the new Calzone Speciale from Dr Oetker - this is a pasty-shaped pizza filled with mushrooms, salami, ham, tomato sauce and cheese. 


My review has been slightly delayed by the fact that I found them quite hard to find - they are so new that not all of the supermarkets who sell the rest of Dr Oetker's pizza range have them yet, but I eventually tracked them down in Asda. We sampled them at lunchtime, served with a crisp green salad (and in Mark's case, a dollop of tomato ketchup, but the less said about that the better).



I usually make pizza from scratch, so it made a refreshing chance to have one on the table in around half an hour rather than half a day! Nothing will ever replace a home made pizza for me, but the price and convenience of these make them a great meal to have on hand in the freezer. They are crisp, well filled and satisfying.

Like almost everyone who lived through the 1970s and 1980s, I sometimes get nostalgic for those frozen Crispy Pancakes, and  Calzone Speciale could well take over where they left off.  I would like to see them produce more varieties in the range - although unlike the crispy pancake, I don't think baked beans would be a winner!

2 comments:

Claire Toplis said...

frozen pancakes now that takes me back

Cheryl Pasquier said...

Guess what ! They still make crispy pancakes ! I only discovered this when I made some from scratch last week for a retro food challenge ! Here are mine - http://madhousefamilyreviews.blogspot.com/2015/10/madhouse-recipe-homemade-chicken-bacon-crispy-pancakes.html - they don't look right - I remember the frozen ones as being bright orange ! - and they were a lot of faff but the taste was spot on. :)