Sunday 26 February 2017

A tripto the Make It Show

I mentioned yesterday that I'd been to the Make It show in Farnborough. In fact I went twice! On Friday I had a browse around the stalls, did a little shopping and a make and take, and met up with lots of friends, old and new. But on Saturday I went again and this time took my 7 year old granddaughter.

She's a keen, and competent, crafter and enjoys learning new crafts and techniques, so she had a wonderful time. We visited all the stalls and she was fascinated by how delicate a lot of the designs were this year - delicate seems to be the current crafting buzz word and there were lots of stamps and die cuts with very fine detail to be seen. Lara loved watching all the demos but was even more excited by the chance to join in!

First of all she had a card made specially for her in a demo on the GlitzCraft stand. Although she didn't have any hands on part in it, she was asked to choose the image and all the colours that were used.

(By the way, if she appears to have an odd expression on any of these photos, you just try to smile when you have a mouth full of chocolate muffin!!!)


Next we moved on to the BJ Crafts stand. Jean was feeling rather poorly and not doing make and takes, but she very kindly gave Lara a personalised stencilling lesson using the beautiful Glimmer Pastes from Imagination Crafts. Lara has dome some stencilling with me, but always using ink and a sponge, but thanks to Jean's patient tuition she quickly mastered the palette knife and produced this beautiful work of art.


Next on to the Stampin' Up stand, where Pip made her very welcome. The make and take there was a fashion themed card using stamping and paper piecing, two techniques that Lara is very familiar with, so she soon produced this.


After a break for a cup of tea and the aforesaid chocolate muffin, Lara was ready to spend the pocket money she had brought with her, and managed to get some great bargains. There were plenty products to be had at pocket money prices. We paused at the Usborne Books stall where Lara did some magic painting with one of the helpers, a little girl about Lara's age, and spent some time oohing and aaahing over some of the exquisite embroidery on display. That led us to the bobbin lace stall, where I was quite surprised that Lara was offered a chance to try it. I thought it would be far too complicated for her - well, all those bobbins, it looks too complicated for me! - but Lara picked it up straight away and added several rows to the lace strip that was being made by show visitors.


We stayed until the stalls were all closing and the show was at an end, and even then the only thing that could tear Lara away was the promise of a takeaway curry when she got home! It was a lovely day out and I'm so glad I took her. My grandma gave me my love of crafting and I am so happy that I have obviously done the same for my own first granddaughter.

9 comments:

Holly Button said...

She obviously had a brilliant day. She spent all morning today crafting and painting.

Margarets designer cards said...

You obviously had a great day together, I love the way she tried lace making, Lovely to see a youngest having a go at an old craft. I also have a grand daughter who loves Crafting, she's 17 now and at college so Crafting is on the back burner, i did get mine into tatting.

Barb said...

What a dear little girl Lara looks. It sounds as if you had a lovely time together at the show. I bet you have lots of fun crafting together too. Barbxx

Sue - said...

She obviously had a fantastic day with you Jane. I did think about taking my two grandsons but think the younger one would have been bored - he's currently at the stage where everything is boring except his computer games! And neither of them would have wanted a takeaway curry!

Crafting Queen said...

What a clever little girl. Looks like it was a wonderful day.

Cara said...

Looks like you both had a fabulous time. Cara x

Carol said...

What a lovely time you had with Lara. She is going to be a great crafter.
Carol
xx

Linby said...

Well done to Lara on her makes, the stenciling in particular looks lovely and neat.

scrapper said...

Glad you had such a good day Jane and Lara looks like being an awesome crafter