Tuesday 10 April 2018

Travel or Transport at Cardz 4 Guyz

There's a lot of scope with  our new challenge at Cardz 4 Guyz today - the theme is Travel or Transport.


I've used this beautiful scene embossing folder which, along with a super set of stamps which I used for the sentiment, was the cover gift on a recent issue of Papercraft Essentials.
I embossed it once in white, then just the area around the balloon in red, cut out the red balloon and attached it over the white one in the scene.

Now, I wonder if any of you can give me a bit of advice. I use a Grand Calibur, and in general the sandwich I use with embossing folders is  [white plate - folder - Grand Raspberry plate]  but with the normal weight of cardstock I use for embossing, it simply wouldn't go through, and having killed a machine a few years ago with an over-thick folder, I didn't want to risk it again. So I tried different combinations of plates but with the grey plate on the bottom it still wouldn't go through and with the pale pink plate it went through like a dream but didn't emboss at all.

I tried using thinner and thinner cardstock until, in the end, using the thinnest in my stash plus the grey plate I got my embossed landscape. But what sandwich do YOU use when faced with a slightly-too-thick embossing folder?

4 comments:

Liz said...

Fabulous card, Jane, perfect in the colours you've used. With my Grand Calibur and embossing folders, I use the grey plate, e/f, then the raspberry plate on the top. My raspberry plate is badly warped now, but it still works okay embossing. I've found that the embossing folders vary greatly in thickness and some brands of A4 e/fs won't go through my Big Shot Plus at all, which is why I've had to keep my Grand Calibur. xx

Barb said...

It's a lovely card Jane and I really like your colour combination. Isn't that a super freebie set. Barbxx

Carol said...

I have this set but haven't used it yet. I love what you have done. I am storing up ideas. xx

Margarets designer cards said...

Love your card, and the embossing folder, a great idea to add the ballon on with it.
A real male card